Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer known for the much beloved Horizon franchise, is looking for a highly skilled Game Programmer to join our dedicated Game Code Systems Team.
Who we are
At Guerrilla, our Game Code Teams are split into Game Features and Game Systems. The Systems team is responsible for the big game overarching systems. This includes a wide range of very varied systems. We have systems to support open world / RPG games: our Quest system which our Quest designers use to create quests, our Scene system which designers use to populate the world with interesting encounters and locations, and our Crowd system which allows our settlements to have many NPCs. Other systems are related to our entities, from how they are spawned and removed, to how the content is created and maintained in the editor. For most of our systems our team builds tools and editors for content authoring.
We are looking for a Systems Programmer who has a passion for the more complex, low-level systemic approach to game programming. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining complex gameplay systems that support the creation of our game titles. Working closely with our in-house engine and tool teams, you will play a key part in helping to create our next big project! Be sure to get in touch with us if this sounds like you – we’d like to meet you!
What you will do
As a System Game Programmer at Guerrilla we will look to you to:
- Work together with the World, Quest and Technical design teams to create the game systems of epic open world games like: Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West, and make them work for the new Horizon online project.
- Be part an experienced team of programmers, responsible for a wide range of gameplay systems
- Work on the technical design, implementation, extension and optimization of one or more of these systems.
- Build and maintain intuitive editors for our systems, which other developers can use to author their content.
- Write clear, maintainable and efficient C++ code, optimize and debug existing code to improve performance and stability.
- Document code, tools and processes to facilitate knowledge sharing and maintainability.
Who you are
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have extensive experience with C++ in the gaming industry.
- Can optimize code for performance, size, scalability and clarity.
- Have a good understanding of 3D math.
- Are comfortable working within a very large existing codebase and toolset;
- Enjoy working in an innovative, highly dynamic game development environment with people from various disciplines;
- Like tried-and-tested methods, however you're not afraid to try something new every now and then.
- Have a passion for the more complex, low-level systemic approach to game programming.
- You have experience in building complex systems on a AAA RPG similar to ours.
- Understand and enjoy low level C++ and have a code sample you can share with us.
- Have experience with multithreaded programming.
- Have experience with multiplayer games.
- Have experience with editor code.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar.
- Familiarity with game engines. Bonus points if you’ve worked with inhouse engines and not your usual off the shelf counterparts.
Please note: Unless stated otherwise, our vacancies are based on-site, in our studio in Amsterdam. For qualified candidates, we offer visa, permit, relocation and immigration support. Depending on the role, we do offer hybrid work models allowing our employees to work from home up to a maximum of two days per week.
If you think you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to hear from you! You can apply by hitting the “apply now” button. Be sure to submit your CV, Cover Letter and a link or PDF file of your portfolio where you showcase your best and most recent work.
At Guerrilla, we believe that our team’s varied backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives help us create games that resonate with a diverse audience.
As an equal opportunities employer, we strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.
We encourage everyone to respond as we consider all candidates on the basis of their merit, unique strengths, and perspectives they will bring to the role.