Lead Online Tech Programmer
Our Online Tech team
We’re taking the Horizon franchise online and are building the technology for a multiplayer game!
The Online Tech team builds reliable, maintainable, and performant online systems and works with other teams to create tools needed to build online game features. We deliver the networking and replication layers for both game client and server, integration with online platform services (e.g. PSN), authentication, matchmaking, leaderboards, and online player profiles. The team works in close collaboration with our Online Infrastructure team, which designs and maintains the build and deployment environments for our servers.
To sync multiple game clients in real time we're using C++ and a custom UDP-based protocol. For everything else, we use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat, and Spring. Our game communicates through REST and has a persistent HTTPS connection to receive notifications. We share as little state as possible between web instances and use Hazelcast to synchronize when needed. We use Amazon EKS to host our servers and use other AWS services like S3 and DynamoDB to store persistent data. We also maintain a modern Angular app to facilitate moderation and run-time service management.
Guerrilla is looking for an experienced and passionate Lead for the Online Tech team to help build reliable, maintainable, and performant online systems. We are searching for someone with a service mentality, a drive for continuous improvement, and a wide technical breadth spanning from backend web services to real-time game networking.
What you will do
- Manage the Engineers on the Online Tech team
- Architect and build game services and game engine networking features
- Ensure systems and services are stable, performant, safe, and secure
- Work with game and other tech development teams to enable and optimize game features
Who you are
- You are growth-minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other Engineers
- You have at least 5 years of experience developing multiplayer games
- You have excellent organizational and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- You have excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, good attention to detail, and documentation skills
If you think you’re up for the challenge, you can apply by hitting the “apply now” button. Be sure to submit:
- Cover Letter
If you have existing materials:
- A code sample that showcases your programming skills. Please include an overview.
- Demo material presenting your tools (video or screenshots and a short overview).
Please note: This position is based in our studio in the heart of Amsterdam. Guerrilla offers relocation and immigration support.