Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer of Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West, is looking for a Game Server Engineer to support our Online Tech team with the upcoming multiplayer project.
Our Online Tech Team
Our Online Tech team builds reliable, maintainable and performant online systems. We work with various other disciplines to create tools needed to build online game features. We deliver the networking and replication layers for both game client and server, integration with online platform services (e.g. PSN), authentication, matchmaking, leaderboards, and online player profiles. The team works in close collaboration with our Online Infrastructure team, which designs and maintains the build and deployment environments for our servers.
For our game backend services, we use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat and Spring. Our game communicates through REST and has a persistent HTTPS connection to receive notifications. To sync multiple game clients in real time we’re using C++ and a custom UDP-based protocol. We share as little state as possible between web instances and use Hazelcast to synchronize when needed. We use Kubernetes (Amazon EKS) to host our services and use other AWS services like S3 and DynamoDB to store persistent data. We use OpenAPI to describe our web services.
What You Will Do
As an Online Tech Programmer (Java) we will look to you to:
- Help build a highly scalable and highly available online server environment;
- Work on player systems focused on persistence, safety, retention, and engagement;
- Cooperate with multiple internal stakeholders and disciplines to achieve the game’s vision;
- Develop, test and maintain our zero downtime deployment system;
- Integrate the game servers with the PlayStation Network and other third party services;
- Help integrate the backend services in the game client if you are comfortable with C++;
- Work closely with the DevOps Engineers in the Online Infrastructure team to ensure robustness, scalability and performance of our servers;
- Keep up to date with the Java world and introduce new technologies when they are relevant for Guerrilla.
Who You Are
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience writing Java server software (game industry experience and experience with Spring Boot are a plus);
- Have a firm grasp on software design and architecture, and enjoy writing code that is both maintainable and performant;
- Write clean, robust and testable code, and are familiar with automated testing techniques and frameworks;
- Have a deep understanding of web-related technologies (e.g. HTTP, REST, Message Queuing);
- Have experience with version control systems such as Git or Perforce;
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Have a helpful, solution-minded approach;
- Have an interest in online gaming.
If you are up for the challenge, hit the “apply now” button to submit your application to us. Be sure to submit your CV, motivation letter, and, if possible, a code sample that shows your best and most recent work.
Please note: This position is based in our studio in the heart of Amsterdam. Guerrilla offers relocation and immigration support.
At Guerrilla, we believe that our team’s varied backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives help us create games that resonate with a diverse audience.
As an equal opportunities employer, we strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.
We encourage everyone to respond as we consider all candidates on the basis of their merit, unique strengths, and perspectives they will bring to the role.